Thursday, June 2, 2016

Lend Me Your Ears: Nathaniel Ratliff & The Night Sweats

You know what? I've missed writing about music. I've missed reading about music.  Don't get me wrong, I still listen to plenty-o-music, but it seems like a lot of the music blogs or even lifestyle type blogs that used to have a post or two about music, have faded, not that I even know why that would ever happen.  Music is great in itself, but sometimes I love hearing a little why you think that song is so good, or the first time you heard it, or the memories that it bring up.  Sometimes I like to grab you by the shoulders and explain using all my words, why this song is important. So let's get back to being all chatty about the tunes?

The very first concert that I reviewed on this blog was Mumford & Sons at City Market in good old Kansas City, MO. One of opening bands for that show was a Missouri born (represent!), now living in Colorado, musician named Nathaniel Ratliff. And even though, he only got one picture and a couple of sentences on that first mention, once his  got in between my ears, he never quite left. I Am is still one of my favorite, let me just lay here on the floor in the dark and contemplate my life, songs. 

In 2012, a music documentary was released called Austin to Boston. It follows a bunch of bands traveling across the United States in vintage VW vans. Very hipster leaning, think of it as a modern day fairy tale involving roading trip in brightly colored vans with all your friends and good music, and a plentra of tambourines.  One of my favorite part of the documentary is where Nathaniel Ratliff talks about growing up in rural Missouri and the death of his father. It is so raw, and so true, and it is exactly the reason why I am so in love with his music. There is a heaviness to it, at times almost a sadness, but it is also layered with the complexities of life that makes the sadness bearable.

Last year, he released a new album (Nathaniel Ratliff & The Night Sweats) and it was by far one of my favorite albums of the year. It's soulful in a way that makes you feel all the feels AND makes want to dance,  and of course, it makes you want listen to it over, and over because you know that it is on the verge of achieving world peace. No, I don't think that I will grew tired of this one.

If you catch me dancing on the subway platform, chances are super that it is to this song, man alive, it is so good:


No comments :

Post a Comment