Monday, October 12, 2015

Bits & Pieces

1. Whoa, it's been a while, right? Let's get caught up with all the voices in my head, or at least 10 of them:

2. A quote that I have been thinking a lot about lately, in regards to blogging and interneting and well, life in general is, "Don't trade in your authenticity for approval." So easy to pin to a Pinterest board, or whatever the kids are doing these days, so hard to actually figure out it all out. 

3. A little part of my soul dies whenever a friend starts posting about the latest and greatest multi-level marking thing. I mean, I do wanted to support my friends in their endeavors in life, even if I might question the business practices of some of these ventures, but sometimes it just feels like I am being moved from "person I might care about' to "source of income." So I guess I am just taking a polling on how much guilt I need to feel when I start to quietly hide all their status updates?

4. Newest addition to the list of things that make me irrationally nervous: my horoscope is getting closer and closer to the top of the page of that free newspaper that they give out on the Metro. That means my birthday is getting closer, and with that all the pressure of doing something big and exciting for the big day, and 98% of these big things are really for other people, because dude, sleeping in and eating a piece of cake is really your jam, but that sounds so boring, and you are still wild and wondrous (no, wait, that might be West Virginia), and you you can't have a boring birthday,  YOLO you know, and what have you even done with your life . . . See why I'm nervous?  

 Also on my nervous list are "hummus" recipes that don't include chickpeas. It's like they are totally trying to trick you.  Zucchini Hummus? What even are you?

5. I know that running barefoot is a thing, and that people have been doing even since man took his first breathe,  and yadda, yadda, yadda, but every time I see someone running barefoot, even if they are obviously a "runner" aka, running on a trail, running in full running gear, maybe even with a sporty headband and water-bottle-fanny-pack, I always have to fight the urge to stop them and ask, "Are you OK? Do you need help? Is your house on fire?" Because really the only rational that my head can handle for running barefoot is that your house is fire.

6. I had a very adult moment the other day: I was about to stop a running nose with my sleeve, and then I thought, "No, I shall use a tissue." I'm growing up so fast y'all.

7. I am watching The West Wing on Netflix, and  I forgot how good it is! So good, (clap my hands) especially if you like political dramas. I remember watching it when it came out, many, many years before I even thought about working in DC, but I think it subconsciously taught me a very important lesson: one of the greatest skills that you can have working in politics is the ability to walk, talk, and grab and hand off folders all at the same time. I am pretty sure, 85% of the action  of this TV show involves this cycle of events, and I am also sure that a large percentage of my actual job involves these things. Also, one of the main characters is played by Rob Lowe, and Nick Offerman guest stars on one of the first episodes as a constituent who is pushing for a special highway just for wolves. Yes, a highway for wolves. And I was like, WAIT. Is this the beginning of Parks and Rec?

8. Today in the US, it is Columbus Day. And since this is somewhat of a controversial holiday, I am choosing to celebration Canadian Thanksgiving instead because the calendar tells me that it is also today, and plus, I am pretty thankful for Canada. They super fine upstairs neighbors, they have poutine and ketchup flavored potato chips, they gave us both Anne of Green Gables and the band Arcade Fire, and I feel like  any "thanksgiving" holiday is a free pass to eat pie.

9.   I've been told that they are loads of pro's about being married, but the fact that I haven't emptied the dishwasher that has had clean dishes in it for like over a day now, and have been just picking out the clean forks out whenever I need one, and there is no one here to judge me for that, is kinda a BIG pro on staying single. But now that I have told all of the internets, I guess I should probably just go and empty it for real.

10. I've switched Sirsi's accent of my phone from an American accent to an Australian accent , basically so I can feel extra fancy when she gives me driving directions, because we all know, accents =  mucho fancy points. But I've discovered that she now, in her new accent,  pronounces Missouri, as Missour-ah, like the locals do. So, there's that. 

2 comments :

  1. Love your face and have missed these posts! Thanks for entertainig me. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete