Thursday, October 16, 2014

Adventures in Audio #6: Route 29 Revue at Merriweather Post Pavilion

Continuing on my quest to catch live music at 50 different venues:

I have been delaying this post for a while now, wow, for  almost a month.  It’s hard to talk about one of your favorite things, when that favorite thing has a bad day.  This concert really wasn’t my favorite of the year. Don’t get me wrong, the lineup was great, and all the bands sounded good. But the day just felt off. Maybe it was because it raining and my shoes got wet and never really got dry, or maybe the set times for the bands seemed incredibly short, or maybe even with my dazzling personality I couldn’t talk anyone into going with me, or maybe because the concession booth milkshakes were $8 (whiskey tango foxtrot!), or just maybe with my old bones,  a full day festival, especially by yourself, leads to a little bit of burn out. By the time the last band, Trampled by Turtles, came on, I was pretty much done.  And that is such a sad thing to say, because I love seeing this band. But they seemed a little rush in their set and then it was over.  It was like everyone involved was just pushing through until those last minutes when we could all declare the day was done . But they played, “Victory,” “Alone,” and “Wait So Long,” and that is really all I ask from our Minnesota friends.
It’s a good thing that I didn’t give myself a deadline for this 50 venues challenge. After coming home from this concert a little, well, unfilled, I felt like I needed a little bit of a break to make sure that seeing live music is still one of my favorite things and not just a chore.  And now my heart and fan girl squeals are all rested, I am getting ready to shake my tail feathers a little more.

And though I may be a little down on the experience itself, I still highly recommend all the bands:
Hurray for the Riff Raff:


Guster


The Devil Makes Three


Iron & Wine


Trampled By Turtles

No comments :

Post a Comment