Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Song of the Week: Josh Record

Let's bring back every one's favorite Tuesday thingamajig:  Song of the Week!

It seems like I have had a lot of conversations lately about the calamity of instant technology. Sure, I get it, the machines are wining, alert John Connor. But having the world in the palm of your hand does come with some saving grace. And in my life, music is forever a saving grace.  And now with all these magical devices we attach to ourselves, I feel I have an wider, deeper musical connection to this world and all the stories and voices that wander it, because I carry them with me wherever we go. Technology has cracked the earth a little bit more open, allowing us to hear more of the songs of our fellow wanders. And with all this collective singing and listening and clapping and stomping of feet comes all of us sharing the burdens of our own stories, making them a whole lot easier to bear.  With a couple clicks or taps, I have the whole world to listen to, when has that ever happened in the history of dirt and bone and water?

 And there are plenty of moments where I need the whole world, moments late at night where my mind and sleep are once again raging a battle against one another, little moments when I have to go sit in my car during work time breaks to question my life decisions, little moments where boredom seems to be the only word ever created, or little moments where I don't know how to express my happiness and joy in any other form then sharing a song. In other words, music fills the little moments where I need something beautiful. And beautiful can be such a complex term. It can be sad and happy and strong and vulnerable and calm and disheveled all at the same time.  And that is why when you find the perfect beautiful song there is a feeling of wholeness, it like everything all together at once.

Bones by Josh Record is a perfectly beautiful song.

No comments :

Post a Comment