Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Song of the Week: The Head and The Heart

Let's be honest, when you have a blog, it--meaning everything--really is all about you. So, let's talk about me.

I am a December baby. My birthday is just close enough to Christmas and the whole holiday season, that the remembrance of my entrance into this world  usually gets lost in the all the holy and not so holy celebrations. It is also nearly impossible to get people together for dinner, a party, and/or cupcake fight. People usually already have holiday plans, or are traveling for the holidays, or its snowing or icing, etc. For many years I would pull out my calendar and try to rearrange my schedule and my birthday, so people could come and you know, honor me, but then after awhile, it got to be all too much and not fun.  Hey, it's my birthday, I am going to do what I want, when I want!  And honestly, I've gotten to the point in my  life, where 9 times out of 10 I really don't remember how I old I am, I know I am in my thirties, but anything more specific than that requires me to do math, and what is this, school? And then when I do figure out how old I am, which tends to happen on a day that kinda is all about  knowing how old you are,  there is this heavy recollection, of OMG, What Have I Done With My Life?, which leads me to stuffing my face with red velvet cupcakes and going to bed early.

So. . .  thanks Mom and Dad.

But this year, the Universe has decreed that I deserve a whole weekend of happy celebrations and what not, and has went ahead and planned it for me. If the Universe can get on planning other events in my life, that would be super duper. My birthday is on a Sunday this year, but on the Friday before, the next installment of The Hobbit comes out (I'm going on an adventure!), and the day before my birthday, one of my bands de jour, The Head and The Heart, comes to town.  On Sunday, I will probably still stuff red velvet cake into my face, because you know, tradition.

I have played The Head and The Heart's 2011 self titled album too many times to count;  it was a favorite commuting soundtrack when I lived in our nation's capital city. I can remember listening to the song, "River and Roads" as I changed trains at Metro Center and thinking, "Wow, this song is about my life."  And  "Down in the Valley" will always be attached to the walk to my office on Capitol Hill from Union Station. Lord have mercy on my rough and rowdy ways. These songs and others from the album also found their way onto many mixed cds slipped to and traded with friends, knowing that these songs are exactly what those friends need in their lives. The band's rich harmonies and delicately poetic lyrics are some of the things that help make the mundaneness of life, like changing trains and walking to work, a little easier.

Yesterday, The Head and The Heart released their new album, Let's Be Still. High fives all around. 



It's going to be a good birthday.

No comments :

Post a Comment