Thursday, October 31, 2013

Movie Night: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Last year, I shared some of my favorite classic horror movies for Halloween. This year, I thought I would share some of my fun favorites, and you can't get anymore fun than Mystery Science Theater 3000, or MST3K if you're one of the cool kids or a lazy typer. If you aren't familiar with MST3K, then Whoa Nelly, you are in for a treat. Or a trick. Halloween jokes, y'all. 

The premise behind this now canceled, yet still beloved series, is a lowly janitor has been kidnapped by a mad scientist,  shot into space, and forced to watch bad movies, all in the names of SCIENCE and experiments and stuff. The janitor, Joel or Mike--depending on the episode/season, builds robot friends out of random parts found on his spaceship and together they add snarky and hilarious commentary to the movies, make up little skits, and of course, general merriment ensues.  And before you ask, no it's not based on true events, NASA would never spurge on a countdown door.  And again, no, it is not based on my life, even if my snarky commentary is legendary. And by legendary, I mean, some people refuse to sit by me during movies because I can be "chatty." And by chatty, I can only assume they mean "adds great insight and wisdom to the movie."

When I was in grad school and after a lot of hard work and determination, I finally got myself embedded in a group of friends that loved MST3K. It didn't matter how late at night it was, or if it was a school night, or well, nothing else matter when one of us got the MST3K bug.  Ridiculous movie is definitely a group activity/sport, it can be a tie that binds, in an endearing way, not creepy tied up in the basement way. 

The Movies:
I have listed a handful of my favorite episodes below. There are 25 MST3k episodes streaming on Hulu, and a load more available for rent on Netflix. Most of the Netflix offerings are on DVD and not streaming, but they are worth the wait. 

MST3k: Manos:  The Hands of Fate (1966/1993)
Plot: A family gets lost on the road and stumbles upon a hidden, underground cult led by the fearsome Master and his servant Torgo.
Force yourself to keep your eye on Torgo, it can be like watching a trainwreck, be he is totally the star of the show.  He even has his own theme song. 
Available on Netflix (DVD)
___________
MST3k: Eegah! (1962/1993)
Plot: Teenagers stumble across a prehistoric caveman, who then goes on a rampage.
And then there is a dune buggy, WEEEEEE!
Available on Hulu (streaming) and Netflix (DVD)
____________
MST3k: Teenagers From Outer Space (1959/1992)
Plot: A young alien falls for a pretty teenage Earth girl and they team up to try to stop the plans of his invading cohorts, who intend to use Earth as a food-breeding ground for giant lobsters from their planet.
I always associate Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker with the movie. . . .and my fear of lobsters. 
Available on Netflix (DVD)
__________
MST3k: The Final Sacrifice (1990/1998)
After finding a map that belonged to his murdered father, a teen searches for the truth behind the crime and discovers that Zap Rowsdower, a man helping him escape members of an ancient cult may be connected to the killing.
In case you missed that, let me repeat, there is a character named Zap Rowsdower. And of course, of course, he has a mullet. 
Available on Netflix streaming












1 comment :

  1. "That must be his winter tank top." You inspired us to watch The Final Sacrifice for Halloween. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete