Monday, October 21, 2013

Mandatory Fall Post

My favorite joke right now is: Say pumpkin spice latte three times, and a white woman in yoga pants will appear and tell  you her favorite things about Fall.

I find this hilarious and so so true, if truth is based on the all the blogs that I read. 

It's been a little hard for me to celebrate the seasons this year. It's nothing against the seasons themselves, I like them all about equally. Well, except Winter. I don't like Winter. I'm sorry/not sorry.  I didn't see this magical thing falling from the sky that the townspeople call "snow" until I was 12 and for the most part, past the "fun in the snow" stage of life. I've never built a snowman, never pranced in the snow, or went sledding or any other fun snow stuff. So while I agree that fresh untouched snow can be a beautiful sight, winter in my head means shoveling snow, hazardous driving, always being cold,  super dry skin, my car doors frozen shut, and weeks and weeks and weeks of no sun. Winter also finds me shuffling through dark cold days muttering, "Now is the winter of our discontent," 'cause nothing emphasises "woe is me" like quoting Shakespeare.  

But enough of all that, let's talk about the other other 3 seasons. I don't know if I fully celebrated the seasons until I moved to the East Coast. Now, I am not talking all hippie dancing at the equinox type celebrating. But for the almost 7 years I lived there, I built fun traditions based on the seasons: Spring meant waking up early to see the cherry blossoms at sunrise (before the swarms of tourists), Summer meant beach trips, lots o' beach trips and Fall meant going to the Shenandoah Valley to see the leaves change and The National Book Festival and Pie Day.  And ok, I'll even throw Winter a bone, Winter meant waiting in line for Messiah Sing-a-long tickets at the Kennedy Center, then eating breakfast at that hole in the wall place in Georgetown, and then, I guess, actually going to the sing-a-long, which I don't think is even free anymore. Apparently, Winter also means run on sentences. But I tied the seasons to these geographical specific traditions so tightly, that now that I am no longer living there,  I'm a little lost on what to do. 

This is when you would smack me the head and tell me that I can make new traditions and stop being one of those people who are constantly being the grass is always greener somewhere else. And to that I would say, "Ouch, don't smack me in the head, and I'm trying." I admittedly let Spring and Summer slip away pretty unnoticed, but Fall, I am trying, for realz.

Here is proof:


Pretty Leaves
This dogwood tree in the my backyard changed so much earlier then any other tree, that I thought it was a burning bush ala Moses, which made me close up my ears, because I can't deal with talking shrubbery right now. 



Fresh Apple Cider
I went to a cider mill and saw apple cider being made, and partook of some fresh apple cider and there were pumpkins, bales of hay, and mini blackberry pies. So, that is 90% of Fall right there, right?





More Apples!
Speaking of apples, pretty soon I won't have to go waaaay out to Kansas for fresh cider, due to some shinny red apples appearing on the trees here at the Homestead. I am hoping we can keep the apples away from the pesky little deer family that has become frequent visitors in the orchard. And if you are wondering, the deer are named, Johan, Elisa, Liesl, and Wolfgang, those names just felt right. 


Pumpkins!
All that is left of these pumpkins is this jar full of roasted seeds. Don't ask. Also, pumpkin flavored anything is pretty much off the menu for the rest of the year. 


The Kakfa postcard is from my friend Miranda. She always sends the best postcards from her adventures. I have such global trotting friends.


Old Barns.
I went into this old barn but then decided that this is how a horror movie would likely start, and that is not the kind of Fall tradition that I would like to start, so I walked away. 



Lovely Luna
I found this picture of the moon while going through the pictures on computer for this post. I have no idea how to fit  it into a Fall tradition, but it sure is pretty.

There is still two months left of Fall, so I guess I still have time to try out some more things to see if I can get Fall in the Midwest to feel right and to help brace myself . . .Winter is coming.*

  *GoT reference intended. 

1 comment :

  1. So jealous - I very much miss good fall apples, fresh apple cider, and looking at mountains full of Autumn colors. It is supposed to be 90 degrees here today. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete