Saturday, September 14, 2013

New and Approved with Banjo Action

I originally wanted my first "What I Did On My {blog} Vacation" post to be something more deep, more hey guys, I know ALL the answers now, more "thinky" but then I thought, what can be more moving, more life changing then BANJO VIDEOS? (Yes, that does merit all caps since all these words are being said really, really loud as I type)

You're welcome.

Punch Brothers covering The Cars
Whenever I am having a terrible, horrible, very bad, no good day (lit reference, yo!), watching  the AV Club's Undercover Series makes things all better, 100% of the time. This particular cover, Punch Brothers + The Cars, is ridicoulosly jolly, I mean c'mon, some of our friends there are wearing hats and it ends with a fiddle/banjo showdown. Shut the front door. This series, bands covering songs from other bands,  however, can be a rabbit hole; before you know it, it's 3 AM and you're watching They Might Be Giants covering Chumbawamba for the seven millionth time because you just don't know how you have lived your entire life without it.




William Elliott Whitmore
This is not just a song, but a 5 minute short about the, when you see him play live, your heart will hurt and your soul will have chills, William Elliott Whitmore.  This is the perfect little shot in the arm, on those days, which seem to be creeping up on me more frequently, when I need some Midwest pride mixed in with some banjo.



Tall Tall Trees
"Combining bluegrass music and Brazillian is where this thing started. . . .You might call it banjo shredding. Yeah, you might call it that. . . Someone once said that we sounded like the Allman Brothers meet the Muppets. (pause) I think that's a compliment." --Mike Savino of Tall Tall Trees



The Avett Brothers
A new song from The Avett Brothers, "Another Is Waiting," off their forthcoming album Magpie and the Dandelion, hitting shelves, or iTunes or your ears on October 15. They actually scheduled a tour date in Missouri for November, but then ha ha just kidding, they canceled it. So goes my live music life lately.


Kermit the Frog & Steve Martin, Dueling Banjos.
No comment needed.

1 comment :

  1. Clearly your band name would have Banjo prominently in the title. That and Pie.

    ReplyDelete