Sunday, August 11, 2013

Song of the Week: Jim James

So, it's not Tuesday and Tuesday is usually when I post the Song of the Week. Usually.  Today is Saturday (look at me, I know my days of the week = college education at work) and I am only now forcing a lovely song on you.

I have been a little liberal in general with posting here. Usually when this occurs it is because, honestly, there isn't a lot going on worthy of a blog post. Even with tambourines and jazz hands, laundry and mowing the lawn and plain old daily life isn't that exciting and the need for documentation isn't that compelling. It feels so unauthentic to try to force life just to have something to blog about it. And I have been living a lot in my head lately, which is a little harder to explain that just, "blah, my life is boorrring."

When I came back to Missouri it was to help my family and myself in the aftermath of the death of my father. Overall it has been a good experience. And now I am at the point where I am starting to think about what comes next, where and how I can now make my life matter. The last little while, I've been thinking about two specific and different ways I can focus my life, which I will be annoyingly vague about. I know that some of you see all this wondering and wandering  as my normal state of mind and the constant in my life, and that is why I am so darn charming. Both paths are towards good things, it is not like I am choosing between jumping off a cliff or eating ice cream. So they are good, but different. As far as I can see, they don't cross, I can't walk both.

I don't subscribe to the idea that there is only one true path in life. We can potentially do good and be good in so many different ways. To quote of my favorite books (Spy friend you may want to look away, 'cause it's Steinbeck) East of Eden“But the Hebrew word, the word timshel—‘Thou mayest’— that gives a choice. It might be the most important word in the world. That says the way is open." 

So while I do believe that both paths potentially can lead to a level of happiness and satistifaction, it doesn't making choosing any easier. Somedays I feel   100% that I should take one of the paths and start marching in that direction then some little thing or thought with trip me up and I'll think maybe the other choice might be better. Deep, deep, sigh. 

So my head (and sometimes my toes) has been spinning and swirling with thoughts of paths and choices and dreams and reality. This morning I woke up with "A New Life" by Jim James, stuck in my head. It is such a sweet little song. Did it personally give me answers to all my questions or step by step instructions for my life? No. But it-- the song and it's video, did remind me that starting over is a part of life, and that actually walking through a door is just as important as merely opening it, and a new life or a new part of your old life can be *just* as exciting as a dancing buffalo.



"A New Life" can be found on Jim James' (of My Morning Jacket fame) debut solo album, Regions of Light and Sound of God.

No comments :

Post a Comment