Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Song of the Week: Hooray for the Riff Raff

It's summer, so I am still talking about music festivals. There has been a lot of buzz going around about this year's Newport Folk Festival coming up this weekend (oh, East Coast, I'm kinda missing you mucho much this week). This music festival has hosted not only some great musical acts since it's first showing in 1959, but has also been the stage (literally), for some memorable landmarks in music history. It was at the festival that Bob Dylan plugged his guitar in and performed his first electronic set in 1965.

This year's lineup is just about so fantastic that it almost brings me to tears of joy and bitterness. I have been craving folk music lately on these hot trying summer days, especially female vocalists. Songs and melodies to soundtrack spontaneous road trips to search for sanity (aka: get in your car and just drive). A couple days ago, a Sunday drive turned into such trip and I did indeed find my sanity a couple miles shy of the Iowa border.  But sanity just wasn't found with all the miles I racked up on my car, but also the music that filled my car.

Hooray for the Riff Raff, who will be playing Newport this year, has the perfect blend of folk and blues that sings all the feelings and thoughts that are swirling around in my head and heart that I just can't articulate. And this song,  "Look Out Mama," the title track off their 2012 album, is just so perfect, so perfectly . . .me.  I struggle with the idea of home, and settling down and finding and feeling content about my place in big things like  the world and small things like social groupings. All kinds of people seem to find and fall into all these things so easily, that sometimes I feel that I must of missed or slept through some vitality important part of life and no matter how hard I try I just can't catch up. So I cling on to the little things that give even a glimpse of this seemingly impossible peace.  As many times as I have left and no matter under what circumstances, there is just something a little comforting about turning into my parent's driveway.

I'm a heavy headed girl
Full of sorrow, 
Don't ask me how 
I got this way
Cause it's been too long to tell
But I'm getting tired
Going down this road
All by myself



No comments :

Post a Comment