Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Song of the Week: The Dustbowl Revival

One of my favorite American song classics is "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out."* When those first couple notes play my hearts just aches.  It's just so bluesy and true that you swear that even though it was written so many years ago it was written just for you.

When I came across the The Dustbowl Revival's cover of the tune, I had the those same heart palpitations. They play homage to a great song, but add their own voice and washboard, continuing the story.  The story of closing your eyes swaying in smoky jazz club and losing yourself and your troubles in the music. Sing on, brothers and sisters.



Earlier this month, The Dustbowl Revival released their new album,  Carry Me Home, and maybe it is because I ate pie for breakfast (what.), but more likely it is because they are just heartbreakingly smooth, but the trumpets in "John the Revelator" are kinda making me swoon this morning. And you know that I cannot resist a call and respond chorus. So much swooning.



In other, uh, bands with a lot of people in them ,news, did you catch Old Crow Medicine Show on CONAN last night? Man alive, they are one of my favorite bands to see live. So much joy. 

*Bessie Smith's 1929 version of the song is hands down my favorite, you can listen here.

No comments :

Post a Comment