Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sights & Sounds: Bad Religion at The Granada

Even though I have crossed the adult bridge a long time ago, I feel even more like an adult when I go to a concert on a Monday night. Take that "early to bed, early to rise," responsible work hours/schedule. Since I brought it up, let's talk about responsibility.  To be a truly responsible adult shouldn't you take care of yourself? Treat yo'self.  Your entire self, finding a balance of creativity and spreadsheets, passion with paying your bills. Don't ever give up your true hobbies or passions (as opposed to social crutches, I'm not justify those) because they don't fit into your and/or everyone else's idea of what your life should be. Hold on to those things that make your heart swell. Music, writing, photography, baking,  running, building robots, EVEN spreadsheet making, if that is your thing. Burnout doesn't have to be our fate. Believe me, I learned this the hard way. 

On Monday night,  trying to find a little life balance of my own, I saw Bad Religion at The Granada Theater in Lawrence, KS.  Bad Religion is a punk rock band that I not only grew up on, but I feel that I have grown up with.  They formed in 1979 in the San Fernando Valley in the Los Angeles, California area. There same valley I used to ride around on my little purple bike with the white basket as a little tike. After 33 years and 16 albums I am excited and relieved to see them continue to make and record music and tour. It is a witness, at least to me, that we don't have to give up on those things that changed our lives as kids or teenagers. We don't have to grow out of our dreams and take on the world attitudes.  Their songs are smart, dealing heavily on social issues and not so much anti-establishment, but anti-conformity. Their catalog is filled with anthems about thinking for yourself, to not be afraid to ask questions, about not only the world around you, but your life and your place in this constant swirling chaos. Although their songs deal with some of the hard things in life, there is always a sense of hope and optimism mixed in with guitar solos and sing along choruses.

The show itself, was golden. Every song, every word of banter was exactly want I needed and wanted. Greg Graffin, PhD. , the lead vocalist, is one of my favorite stage banter storyteller. He engages with the audience, tells stories and jokes, and fosters this feeling that we are in fact, part of one big punk rock family. 

I had good intentions of keeping track of their set list for the night (and maaybe take better pictures), but as soon as the music started I got lost in it, in a good way.  I mean, how you can write when you are singing, so loud,  "Sanity is a full time job!" But even with my old timer's memory, I can recall songs performed last night from their entire career, from their first album, released in 1982, How Could Hell Be Any Worse? all the way up to their newest album, True North, which was just released in January of this year. 

No Monday blues last night. 4 sure.

Post scripts:

1. I arrived at the show super late, missing Polar Bear Club's entire set and only catching a few songs of The Bronx, but I heard good things about both bands.

2. Punk rock shows are the ONLY place in my life that the male to female ratio works in my favor. I need to go to more shows. 






1 comment :

  1. I love your way of wording things and hope I can sometime internalize and live some of the truths you've come to know recently. You are my guru in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete