Monday, January 28, 2013

The First Week

The first of many Midwest weeks to come . . . .

My first full day in Missouri found me at my favorite BBQ joint. Duh. DC has some amazing food, but KC BBQ it does not have. 

Speaking of firsts, the very first thing I set up, before I opened one single box or unzipped one single suitcase, was the record player. Priorities. 


I'm trying to surround myself with things that inspire me. I lugged this old typewriter out of the barn.  I am still tinkering with it to see if I can get it to work, but it is in pretty bad shape. Sometimes you have to be taken apart before you can be put back together. 

 I went to my very first Midwest show--Trampled by Turtles at The Granada in Lawrence, KS.  Music to my little heart. 


 I joined a fancy pants gym.
 "Pool" just sounds too pedestrian. Actually it is just the gym at the local community center.  I've discovered that I workout at the same time as a lot of gray hair folk, which I kinda adore. I secretly want to join the little group that sits and gossips at the coffee cart after their water aerobics class. 

On a bottom shelf at a thrift store I spotted an old slide projector. 4 dollars and 98 cents poorer I brought it home and after a little cleaning and a little work I got the 1958 magic box to turn on and filled it with some of my dad's old slides.  I knew he had a camera when he was stationed in Europe, but I didn't know that he took pictures when he lived in Mexico a couple of years before he joined the army. Seeing pictures of him, a very younger, but as hip was ever, him in his Latin American days was pretty special. 

Truth: if you want to talk me into something, take me out for tacos. It will almost always work. One of the most comforting things about cleaning the slate and starting over is knowing that there are friends out here that truly want the best for me. And tacos. Tacos are pretty comforting too. 

So. It is January, like cold middle of the winter January, and it was in the 70's today. There is a chance of snow (please! please!) later this week. Weather, you crazy.

 But sadly this warm weather is just underling the fact that the middle of the country is still in a bad draught. No water in the dusty rain gauge and the grass is so crunchy. 

This week I also had to come to the realization that 90% of my photos are going to be photo bombed by a cat.
I was trying to get a picture of the rain gauge shadow, but got this instead. 

I was at the gym today running inside on the treadmill looking outside and thought, "Holy cow, it is so warm today." Then I got off the treadmill, went outside and did a lap around the lake.  Show off. 


And finally, after I couldn't put it off any longer, I got out a blank piece of paper and started to makes some goals.
We'll see how this goes. 

3 comments :

  1. What a fabulous way to start your new life! Great food, great finds, great music, sunshine, cats...there's not much better! I'm more than an a little jealous but even more happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't kidding about MO BBQ. Wow! And go you for running both inside AND outside. I'm impressed.

    PS. Is that a green ottoman? Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Hopefully good weeks will be the norm out here! Please.

    ReplyDelete