Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Song of the Week: Michael Kiwanuka

I've been listening to a lot of loud, fast pogo dance around the room music lately.  It's been the fire beneath my feet as I try to get things done as I wrap up my DC life.

But today I hit a snag.  We have all moved we know it how overwhelming it can be, so not to throw myself a pity party or anything, but I have I changed my U-Haul reservation like 5 times in last hour.  I had to just close down all 7 windows on my computer and take a moment. 

Soon I hope to get out of this --my life is so overwhelming-- rut. But sometimes making big changes leads you second guess every single small decision. 

"Valentine," I said. Valentine is my computer, named after Ender's sister, duh. But let's not make this about how I name most of the major inanimate objects in my life.

"Valentine," I said opening up iTunes, "Play me something nice. Something with soul. Something to fill my head." Now, it wasn't magic, it wasn't the first song that came up, it was a little bit down the list in the DJ list, but as soon I saw it, I knew it was definitely the song of the day, week, and maybe month.

Home Again by Michael Kiwanuka


I know that I have been posting lyrics more and more frequently, I don't if this helps or hurts. But these words. That voice. No need to pull out your dictionary. This is the definition of perfection.

Home again
Home again
One day I know
I'll feel home again
Wrong again
Wrong again
One day I know
I'll feel strong again
And lift my head

Many times
I've been told
All this talk
Will make you old
So, I'll close my eyes
Won't look behind
Movin' on
Movin' on
So I'll close my eyes
Won't look behind
Movin' on

Lost again
Lost again
One day I know
Our paths will cross again
Smile again
Smile again
One Day I hope
I'll make you smile again
And I won't hide

Many times
I've been told
Speak your mind, just be bold
So I'll close my eyes
Won't look behind
Movin' on
Movin' on
So, I'll close my eyes

And the tears will clear
Then I'll feel no fear
Then I'd feel no way
Bypass what we made straight

Home again
Home again
One day I know
I'll feel home again
Wrong again
Wrong again
One day I know
I'll feel strong again
And lift my head

Many times
I've been told
All this talk will make you old
So I'll close my eyes
Won't look behind
Movin' on
Movin' on
So I'll close my eyes
Won't look behind
Movin' on

I first heard about Michael Kiwanuka via the Communion music collective. It was started in the UK by Ben Lovett (of Mumford & Sons) and some friends to promote not only music and musicians, but the sense of community within our musical world. If you are akin to lovely folksy tunes, their mailing list (sign up here), delivers a free song each week to your inbox and introductions to new singer/songwriters bravely sharing their words with us. 

No comments :

Post a Comment