Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Song of the Week: Ducky Boys

Happy New Year! 

Let's continue on this thing of talking about music I have already talked about. The transition between the old and new year is really the only time of the year that all this repetition is allowed because you can call it "reviewing"  I reviewed Chasing the Ghost by Boston based band Ducky Boys waaay back in January, and a couple of the band members were nice enough to leave comments, which was a highlight for this little blog and made me realize that I need to be better about responding to comments (maybe that should be a "resolution"). 

 If you have been in my car in the last year, chances are you have heard this album because my, bless her engine of a heart,  car is super picky about what cds she will play. Odds are the cd player is old or needs to be cleaned out/up,  but I like to chalk it up to my car having very discriminating music tastes. 80% of the cds that I try to play come spitting back out at me, but Chasing the Ghost goes to play every time. I've relented and just left it in the player.  Which isn't that bad, it's some good driving tunes, or more realistically 'cause this is DC, good stuck in traffic so bad that you just want to jump on top of your car and yell " My soul just wants to be free!" tunes.

And the first track, 'New Chapter', I do solemnly declare to be my anthem of 2013.

(word to the wise: this song is loud and fast, and definitely does not have any banjos, so adjust your ears accordingly)


I'm clearing the shelf. I’m wiping the slate 
Cuz I don’t know how much more hurting I can take 
I’ve spent all my life behind walls and these masks 
And all of the pain keeps on circling back 
Now is the time. The road forward is clear 
Now is the time. There’s no room to fear 
Someday we might find all the things that we’re after 
But this is a new chapter 

What good is a lesson if there’s nothing you can take from it? 
What good is a broken heart if you’re never gonna tend to it? 
Now is the time. The road forward is clear 
Now is the time. There’s no room to fear 
I put down the bottle and I threw down the crutch 
And I now I gotta figure out how to get back up 
Someday we might find all the things that we’re after 
But this is a new chapter


Post Script: Thank you to Largehearted Boy for including my Favorite Albums of 2012  post on his gigantic 2012 Year-End Online Music List. If you are looking for more best music and books of 2012, than you really know what to do with, look no further. 

1 comment :