Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Song of the Week: Hanukkah Edition

I know that I have probably mentioned before, like every year around this time, that my glorious stage debut was in the second grade holding the giant drediel during our class rendition of the song Dreidel, Dreidel, for our holiday program. I went to a very cultural diverse elementary school back in the land before time when you could celebrate holidays in schools. Let me tell you, my spinning technique on that dreidel was legendary, never to be repeated again, at least in my eyes.  If I could find a way to put that on my resume, I totally would. 

Throughout my life I have had the great fortune to have many Jewish friends and coworkers. This week their tales of potato latkes had me at the store at 10 o'clock last night staring at the potatoes trying to tell myself that I have plenty of time and effort desire to shred potatoes for pancakes.  Won't they taste so good with a little sour cream and a little apple sauce? But lo, I  wimped out and had had cereal for dinner. 

I am not one of those people that gets all twisted out of shape if you wish me Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. In fact, I love it when people wish me Happy Holidays, it's like a little reminder that we in live in country that allows all religions equal  footing in the holiday celebrating department. 

So here is a little, no, make that a lot of love and respect to all my friends celebrating Hanukkah this week!

Campfire Ok: Dreidel, Dreidel
How many points will you give me for having a Hanukkah song with a banjo in it?  At least 5 points, right?

Did you know that Woody Guthrie wrote Hanukkah songs? Yes sirree.
Woody Guthrie: Hanukkah Dance

The song pauses a little in the middle, but it comes back!

No comments :

Post a Comment