Friday, December 7, 2012

Hipster Christmas 2012: A Mix Tape

Last year for the holidays I did 12 Days of Hipster Christmas where I shared favorite Christmas music, both old and new, every day for the 12 days leading up to Christmas. I believe that is the true spirit of hipsterdom, appreciating the old (so retro) while at the same time anticipating the future (I was listening to that band even before they were a band!). That and ironic t-shirts, I'm sure those are in the hipster creed somewhere too.  If you want to check out my selections from last year just hit up the "Hipster Christmas" link over there on the "Labels" section on the right hand side, under the Blog Archive, or at the bottom of this post.

This year however, I decided to just do a playlist, a mix tape if you will, of the 12 holiday songs that are currently on a holly jolly filled loop in my headphones, in the my car, and in my head.  This was also the mix that I sent to my lovely music swapping friends. I wanted to have songs from both the cultural Christmas and the religious Christmas sides, since both make up my holiday season. And as always, no sad shoes or talking snowmen allowed!!


Christmas Mix 2012

1. Another Christmas Song by Stephen Colbert
2. Christmas Time's A-coming by Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys
3. I Don't Need No Santa Clause by Fiction Family
4. Little Toy Trains by Jessica Lea Mayfield
5. La Rama by David Wax Museum
6. Auld Lang Syne by Andrew Bird. 
7. Simple Gifts by Yo-Yo Ma and Alison Krauss
8. O Come, O Come Emmanuel by Punch Brothers
9. The First Noel by Beta Radio
10. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day by The Civil Wars
11. Silent Night by My Morning Jacket
12. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing by Sufjan Stevens. 
Yes, this is a repeat from last year, and 
yes, it will be on every Christmas mix I will ever make. 
*Bonus Song*
13. Christ for President (Woody Guthrie) covered by Billy Bragg & Wilco. 


I would love to hear your favorite holiday tunes! 

1 comment :

  1. I really like your version of Auld Lang Syne. And I was this close to putting 'Come Thou Fount' on my own mix. Nice choice.

    Ps. I think I may have a bit of a holiday crush on The Civil Wars. A fantastic mix!

    ReplyDelete