Sunday, November 11, 2012

On the 11th Day of the 11th Month . . . .

Today has been hard but I never expected it to be easy.
--From my dad's journal when he was stationed with the army in Europe.

Today, November 11, is Veterans/Remembrance/Armistice Day. A day dedicated to honor our armed service members, their sacrifices, their duty and their families. It is celebrated on this particular day to coincide with the anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended World War I, which was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918. In 1954, here in the United States, this day, which was formally known as Armistice Day, was officially changed to Veterans Day to honor all veterans, not just those who served in World War I. 

This is where I would usually write something respectful about how much I appreciate the service of our military and how much I am grateful for the freedoms that I posses because of them. However, this great and important holiday this year also fell in the same week as the six month anniversary of the passing of the most important veteran in my life, my father. He was drafted into the army during Vietnam and served through every wartime and peacetime until his retirement a few years back. 

Holidays are days to celebrate the good things in your life, and sometimes it is hard when one of those good things is gone and remembering is still a little raw. So today has been a day of distractions and maybe a little digging in my kitchen cupboards looking for chocolate that I know I hid somewhere, and pep talks to myself and silent little prayers to the other side. 

As each day moves along, I feel a little stronger and better.
 --Also from my dad's army journal. 


No comments :

Post a Comment