Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Humans of New York

One of my favorite blogs out there these days is Human of New York (HONY). It is a project and labor of love of photographer Brandon Stanton. It is beautiful and inspiring. From Brandon and the blog itself:

I began Humans of New York in the summer of 2010. HONY resulted from an idea that I had to construct a photographic census of New York City. I thought it would be really cool to create an exhaustive catalogue of the city's inhabitants, so I set out to photograph 10,000 New Yorkers and plot their photos on a map. I worked for several months with this goal in mind. But somewhere along the way, HONY, began to take on a much different character. I started collecting quotes and short stories from the people I met, and began including these snippets alongside the photographs. 
---

I love, love, love that instead of just taking a picture and walking away, this photograph asked the people about their story. Everyone has a story, whether we think we do or not.  And we are not just stories, we are libraries full of stories, fiction, non-fiction, and maybe even one or two smutty romance novels. And I think a greater piece of the puzzle of humanity and civilization is understanding, with genuine respect, each other stories. I follow HONY on Facebook, and not a day or pictures goes by without a little glimmer of gratitude that I am a part of such an amazing and beautiful human race.



But the story doesn't stop there. HONY is currently (until November 21, 2012) helping to raise money to help with the relief and recovery from the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy. Their goal was to raise $100,000, a goal that was exceeded within the first 19 hours of the fundraiser. But the need in the area is so great. %100 of the proceeds will be going towards to the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation, a foundation that was set up in memory of a firefighter that lost his life on 9/11. It is a well respected family-run charity and has been officially endorsed by many NYC officials. All donations will be going to the immediate relief of victims, not to overhead, fees or the like. You can find out more about the fundraiser, and how to contribute here.  

No comments :

Post a Comment