Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Never Know What To Say On 9/11


But I usually find myself thinking about these words:
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sounds pretty hippy dippy, I know. And it is true that I was a little removed from 9/11. I wasn't living in NYC, or even here in DC in 2001. I didn't lose a loved one. And those who did are allowed whatever feelings and thoughts that sting and burn on this anniversary.

But I have lived in the shadow of 9/11 for that last 11 years, we all have. America changed that day, we changed. What I am reminded the most of when this solemn day rolls around each year is though fear and hate may appease the angry mob for a little time, they have no foundation for lasting change. We can build walls and use words like "us" and "them" and they may protect us for awhile, but they will always, always, crumble.  And I don't mean to gloss over the fact that there are bad people during bad things in the world and I do, 100%, believe in justice and in law and order (and not just the tv show), and protection of our homeland and the safety of our citizens.

 But, I think the true test of 9/11 is not if we can kill our enemies, it is that we don't become our enemies. 

1 comment :

  1. This is so beautiful, Katie. Not knowing what to say usually turns out well for you.

    ReplyDelete