Thursday, August 23, 2012

Words: Wisdom

“Try to understand men. If you understand each other you will be kind to each other. Knowing a man well never leads to hate and almost always leads to love.”
--John Steinbeck

John Steinbeck is a heated point of contention in my little bookish circle of friends. If you ever want to see civility and respect go out the window let a bunch of a bibliophiles talk about their favorite books (p.s. this is why I don't go to book clubs anymore, too much literary one upmanship). The more people tell me they hate Steinbeck and every single thing he wrote-even his shopping lists, the more I read him, and the more I read him, the more I love him, so thank you haterz for that. 


3 comments :

  1. De nada. I'm going to continue being a hater, though - growing up in Steinbeck country, he got shoved down our throats. I'm not denying he's an excellent writer, but he's also incredibly depressing. I mean, would a happy ending once in a while have killed him? But enjoy your Grapes of Wrath without me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always are a good sport about it! But I ran into someone else that shared you're feelings and opinions, but were very much less friendly with their comments after which made me want to plant the Steinbeck flag on their face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of curiousity, what would said flag look like?

    ReplyDelete