Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Song of the Week: Nathaniel Rateliff

For my latest road trip I resurrected my California play list and "Shroud" by Nathaniel Rateliff (found on disc 3 of the 5 disc set) became a favorite of the trip. 
 
Maybe it is because I listened to this a good number of times on repeat, but there was a moment of clarity, the kind you only get outside of your automatic life,  where I looked at myself, directly in the eye,  in the mirror that was across from my hotel bed and realized that I do wear some of my problems like a shroud, but wait, I’m not dead, and there is plenty of living left to do.

I had the privilege of seeing Mr. Rateliff  last summer. Goosebumps. Every one of his songs is golden and genuine.  He is currently based out of Colorado, but grew up in Missouri, so five points to him for that. No, give the man 10 points.  You can see his current tour schedule here, spoiler alert: this week he is joining the Mumford & Sons tour, and this Fall he will be touring with Michael Kiwanuka which will be more awesome than you now realize.

Speaking of Fall concerts, there are some pretty good ones coming to the DC area:

The Virgin Mobile Free Fest: October 6 at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD: This year's line is stellar. Well, I assume so, I just saw that Jack White is one of the headliners and then everything went fuzzy. Tickets are free, but there is always a ridiculous rush for them. They go on "sale" on Friday August 24. 

Ben Gibbard (solo): November 8, at Sixth & I: Sixth & I is a beautiful Jewish Synagogue that also hosts a varied of community/cultural events. It is one of my favorite places to see a show. This solo show with the Death Cab for Cutie front man will surely be a great night.  Tickets go on sale this Thursday August 17.

The 9:30 Club has a pretty ridiculous Fall schedule, check out the full listings here, but might I suggest: Ben Howard (September 18), Glen Hansard (September 19), Dr Dog (November 11), Social Distortion (November 6 & 7).

And though I have issues with Baltimore, the line up of Frank Turner and Larry and His Flask on September 28, is so tempting. 

No comments :

Post a Comment