Monday, August 20, 2012

Every Day Can Be Pie Day


I have been thinking about this pie for a while.

Apple Walnut Crumble, with the super and secret ingredient of Gruyere cheese, baked in the crust. A cheese plate in pie form. Genius, right?

But Gruyere in the crust isn’t exactly a secret. I got the idea from the beloved and sadly cancelled television show, Pushing Daisies. Chuck used to put Gruyere in the crust of the Apple Pie for her cheese lovin’ aunts.  Man, I miss that show.

Two shinny Granny Smith apples were peeled, cored and sliced, and then coated with a little sugar, flour and cinnamon. The crumble topping was a beautiful mix of flour and sugar, chopped walnuts, a little more finely grated Gruyere, and chunks of real butter.

Baked and Devoured. I could taste the cheese, but it wasn't overpowering, and the walnuts added a little texture and it was just perfect.  

However, it isn’t the prettiest pie known to man, but put it by the window to cool and it can be labeled an American Dream.


I kinda doubt that I will be hosting my annual Pie Day this Fall (can I come to yours?), but that hasn't stopped me from collecting recipes. I already have my eye and taste buds on this Blackberry Balsamic Pie.

2 comments :

  1. What?!! No Pie Day?!?! I think I've just lost the will to live...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can still come over for pie Amy, but I don't know if I'll be up for the whole making 10 pies for random people to come over and eat, thing.

    ReplyDelete