Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Currently Reading

Working on my Thanksgiving Tour Schedule. Everyone deserves a little Roman Holiday of their own, right? 

I'm kinda nervous about this one. Like, deep in the pit of my stomach nervous. My entire knowledge of Italian is 3 years of Latin in college and a couple of Fellini movies. So unless I need to have a discussion about Cesar's campaigns against the Gauls or La Dolce Vita, I may be a little lacking in the communication department. But I figure all I really need to know is "Give me some gelato, pleeeeeese."

But within all this nervousness there is also an awesome sense of adventure and anticipation of that moment where I experience a culture, a place, smells, sights, all for the first time. The moment when the world becomes the truest kind of magic. 

"Travel is the art form available to Everyman. You sit in the coffee shop in a strange city and nobody knows who are are, or cares, and so you shred your chequered past and your motley credentials and you face the day unarmed. Bravery! Adventure! Defeat! Survival! And onward we go and some day in the distant future, we will stop and turn around in astonishment to see all the places we've been and the heroes we were."
-- Garrison Keillor

5 comments :

  1. Yaaaaaaaaaaay! I'm about 5,000 shades of happy right now. What wonderful news!

    Oh Katie, prepare your heart to fall hopelessly and forever in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will forgive for going to Italy before Peru. But only because I will be in Kansas City for Thanksgiving. And yes, I am totally jealous you will be in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never find anyone to seriously want to travel to Peru with me. Key words: with me. I tried, and I don't think I am up for Peru on my own. And maybe I have already missed by window of opportunity, who wants to hang out with newlyweds?!

      Delete
  3. Miranda and Luci, I will be cornering you for advice! Where/what are must sees and eats? How not to get run over by Vespas and then how to make yourself get on the plane to come back home?!

    ReplyDelete