Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cheers!

One of my dream jobs is to organize a supermarket. Most grocery stores seem to go out of their way to not make sense. The place right by my house was recently remodeled, and not a moment too soon; finding the peanut butter by the school supplies (and not by the bread) was getting pretty ridiculous. But now I can't find anything. I used to be able to walk in, know exactly where my food staples were on the shelf, checkout and leave. Easy. Now I have to wander up and down every single aisle looking for  the pinenuts. I know, I  know, First World problems. 


The other day one of the aisle markers made me stop in my tracks and blink twice:
In the middle of the cookie aisle is a new "British Food" section. Now, it is true that I live in a pretty culturally diverse neighborhood, but I can think of exactly 1 British person I know in my zip code. And this sign is from the same store that lumps, Chinese, Japanese, Thai and Indian food all under "Chinese Food," a couple of aisles down.  Are they doing it for the Olympics? Are they hoping Will and Kate will pop in? Are there Red Coats in our midst? I don't get it at all, and now every time I go into that store, it is going to bug me. Why is it in the cookie aisle and not with all the other  "international" food? Why? Why!  And what do our friendly grocers consider British food?
Tea biscuits (and NOT even HobNobs), seasoning for Shepard's Pie (and the store doesn't even sell lamb, so you can't even make a real Shepard's Pie), Tea (duh), Oatmeal (because it's Irish) and baked beans. Yep, the whole of British cuisine is reduced to 4 short shelves next to the diet cookies. 


I just don't get it. 

No comments :

Post a Comment