Friday, August 24, 2012

Book Spine Poetry

Who knows where it started.
But everyone is doing it.
From school librarians in Michigan for National Poetry Month.
To famous artists.
Then there was an article in the Huffington Post
Then it became an addictive Instagram game.

Book Spine Poetry, sorting and groups and lining up books and titles to created even more words of wisdom. 

I will admit, most social media challenges take me forever. Answer 26 questions about myself? Um, 3 weeks minimum turn around time. Find 4 white things to take pictures of and tag? I'm  still working on that a month later. And please don't ask me to copy and paste anything into my FB status. That will never happen. But Book Spine Poetry? I so can do that.

I started with my own bookshelf: 
The Giver, The Stranger, On the Road Into the Wild: Everything is Illuminated.*

Then I found myself wondering around B&Ns waiting for Costco to open and I had to play again:

Desolation Angels: The Keeper of Lost Causes, Lost Names, The Broken Ones, The Sorrow of War, Atonement. Their Eyes Were Watching God.**

Don't worry, I put all the books back where they belonged and even bought a couple. 

And then when I was home again and went to put away all the books that I had pulled out to make some poetry, and add some new friends to the collection,  I noticed two books that decided, on their own, to line up perfectly:
Home: The Missing Piece***

*The Giver by Lois Lowry (she'll be at the National Book Festival this year!)
The Stranger by Albert Camus
On the Road by Jack Kerouac (No, I will not see the movie. Ick. Kerouc's genius was in his words, and that can't translate into film.)
Into the Wild by John Krakauer
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

**Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac. (One of favorite books titles ever and my favorite Kerouac book. I was trying to get it to work with the books from my own collection, but I couldn't fit anywhere. I'm such a beatnik. )
The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen
Lost Names by Richard Kim
The Broken Ones by Stephen M. Irwin
The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurst

***Home By Marilynne Robinson (Who will also be at Book Fest)
The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein

1 comment :

  1. Sometimes I wonder how many of the same books me and my friends own. I bet a lot.

    Fantastic creative selections!

    ReplyDelete