Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Natural Sunday

Since my father passed away I have entered a church only a couple of times, and that includes the funeral. It really hasn’t been because of a crisis of faith in a higher power, it is more a crisis of faith in other people. But I still love the idea of having one day that is separate then the rest, to rest. A day  not to worry about deadlines and train delays. A day just to be. But I also hate the idea of wasting a Sunday, so when the seventh day comes around, I usually find myself trying to find something meaningful to do.  And I realize that people can find meaning in so many different places, even in a church building, but for me, the outdoors just makes my heart beat a little freer.  On the way back from Tennessee (have I mentioned my trip enough yet? Did you eyes just roll out of your head?), through the lovely Shenandoah Valley, on a Sunday, I kept seeing signs for the Natural Bridge and I made the executive decision to stop.

This great arch was carved out of the limestone over the course of thousands of years by the Cedar Creek, and is now designated as a National Historic Landmark.  





A rock Buddha

For church that Sunday I sat down on one of the benches, lined up like pews, and just took in the shock and awe of it all.  I walked along the little trail that ran along the little creek.  It was quiet. It was peaceful. I felt accepted. I felt wanted.  And isn’t that what church is supposed to be about?




For the Beauty of the Earth! 

1 comment :

  1. Sometimes I wonder if church was intended to take place outside. In nature, with God.

    Your images capture the peace and serenity of such a brilliantly executed unplanned stop. Here's to more natural and accepting Sabbaths.

    ReplyDelete