Friday, July 6, 2012

This Land Was Made For You and Me

Image: Eric Schaal/Life Pictures/Getty Images

I love everything about this picture. Everything.

Next week (July 14) is Woody Guthrie's , the gentleman singing with his eyes closed above, 100th birthday. A parade will be going through my living room at 8:00 AM sharp. 

The Smithsonian Folklife Festival is going on right now (right now!) down on the National Mall, and NPR/Talk of the Nation taped a program at the festival about Mr. Guthrie and his place in American culture, it's pretty fantastic. Just like the man himself. 

"Woody is just Woody. Thousands of people do not know he has any other name. He is just a voice and a guitar. He sings the songs of a people and I suspect that he is, in a way, that people. Harsh voiced and nasal, his guitar hanging like a tire iron on a rusty rim, there is nothing sweet about Woody, and there is nothing sweet about the songs he sings. But there is something more important for those who will listen. There is the will of a people to endure and fight against oppression. I think we call this the American spirit." - John Steinbeck

1 comment :

  1. I keep meaning to tell you about a book I read not too long ago. When Bob Met Woody by Gary Golio. It's a picture book (cuz that's how I roll) but it's a fun little account of the meeting of two amazing musical minds!

    ReplyDelete