Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Words: Wisdom

{revised from an earlier, and scheduled post, before I heard the sad news of the Ray Bradbury's passing}


 “If you want to write, if you want to create, you must be the most sublime fool that God ever turned out and sent rambling. You must write every single day of your life. You must read dreadful dumb books and glorious books, and let them wrestle in beautiful fights inside your head, vulgar one moment, brilliant the next. You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads. I wish you a wrestling match with your Creative Muse that will last a lifetime. I wish craziness and foolishness and madness upon you. May you live with hysteria, and out of it make fine stories — science fiction or otherwise. Which finally means, may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” 
― Ray Bradbury (August 22, 1920--June 5, 2012)


Fahrenheit 451 has always been the most terrifying horror story to me: a world where books are outlawed. After reading that book for the first time  many, many years ago, I made myself promise that, like the people in the woods,  I would start memorizing favorite passages and quotes and poems. I have to save them, I told myself, I HAVE TO SAVE THEM. And then they would become part of me. And then they could never be taken away or forgotten.  

2 comments :

  1. I missed posting on his passing while I was out of town but will be paying tribute soon. Love this quote, it just sort of sums up the glory and the madness all at once, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the 200th comment award goes to Amy!!

    ReplyDelete