Friday, June 1, 2012

This Is Not a Food Blog

A huge storm and tornado watch basically washed out all plans for tonight. Maybe Mother Nature wanted me to stay home and listen to the Pixies (Mother Nature is so hip), and book a hotel room for an overdue Tennessee road trip, and make baked goods. There are many things that I learned living in the Midwest, but maybe the most important thing of them all is that severe weather events call for baked goods. 


Millions of years ago I posted about math and small batch baking and and I was very hoity toity about it all. Remember these?
Well, after making them a couple times, you know, to check the math, I'm ready to share the recipe. 


Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies (makes 5-7 cookies)
Ingredients
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (to make it healthy)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened, but not melted
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons milk
1/4-1/2 cups chocolate chips (depending on your chip-to-dough ratio preferences)


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt). Set aside.
3. In another bowl with hand mixer (or stand up mixer if you are fancy), mix the wet ingredients (butter, sugars, vanilla, milk).
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined. 
5. Stir in by hand the chocolate chips.  I usually start with 1/4 cup and keep adding until it looks right (again, this is not a food blog).
6. Plop rounded tablespoon of dough onto a cookie sheet. To get the perfect round cookies, I scoop out a tablespoon of dough and with very clean hands roll the dough between my hands until I get a smooth ball and then flatten slightly before putting in on the cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10-14 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies start to brown. 


Makes 5-7 cookies depending on how big you make the cookies and how much cookie dough you "taste test."  Tonight I got 7 cookies in my "why do they keep interrupting TV to tell me it's still raining, I have windows" batch. Since the dough contains no eggs, you can go ahead and do all those taste tests without the salmonella police reading you your rights. 





2 comments :

  1. AWESOME! Because I am too lazy to do that math myself (although, now that I think about it, it could be a little fun...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, for one, am very excited about this recipe! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete