Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Song of the Week: Shakey Graves

There are a lot of songs about California. I found this out when I was putting together a play list for my trip. My motley crew of traveling buddies found this out when I would randomly break out into song whenever we passed a street or part of town that was featured in a song. Beverly Hills, that's where I want to be . . . .


Um . . .now I know why my new tambourines (thanks X!) seemed to be always backed at the bottom of the pile of luggage in the trunk.


Another song that got stuck in my head, especially when driving up and down the Hollywood Hills was , "Built to Roam," by Shakey Graves. Truth by told, it isn't the most positive song about the happy cow state, since it talks about leaving California, but more than once, at a stoplight, I shouted to guy in sunglasses in the car next to us: BUILT TO ROAM!




To hear more of Shakey Graves (aka Alejandro Rose-Garcia) visit his bandcamp site. His album, Roll the Bones, is available there for "name your price," which means you can technically get it for free, but for heaven sakes, leave the man a good tip and spread the word. 
----
In other music news:
NPR's All Song Considered released their Summer Preview list with new songs by some great bands such as The Avett Brothers, The Antlers, and Grizzly Bear. 


Local DC Gypsy Celtic band Scythian released their new album, It's Not Too Late, this week. Remember them from Shamrock Fest?  They will be playing at the Annapolis Irish Festival on July 14. Go see them. Bring your dancing shoes. You won't be disappointed. 

No comments :

Post a Comment