Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Song of the Week: Langhorne Slim


Langhorne Slim is exactly what I needed to hear this week.  His self-titled album, Be Set Free  and the brand new The Way We Move (released just last week!) were on repeat and rotation in my ears on Monday; 12 hours and one iPod battery, straight.  At some point along the way, I decided that falling hopelessly in love with music so easily, isn’t such a bad thing.  Falling easily in love with other things, or people or pistachio ice cream,  well, that can be a whole different story.

Slim does play with a fantastic band;“The Law”, but probably my favorite video of him playing is this is stripped down version of “Be Set Free”:

Oh, that voice and unlaced boots! I have mentioned before that I love so called imperfect voices; voices that strain, voices that might be a little too loud and raw,  voices that just have this sense of longing in them.  I like to call theses voices the voice of the common man. Maybe a little broken and scarred, but still singing. Add to that sincerely honest lyrics about the pains and joys of life, things we can all relate too but seldom can find the right words to express them, and what you have my friends, is some of the best music around these days.

Since you all are here, let’s hear the title track from the new album, this time with the band:  


 Makes you want to see him live right? Well, you are in luck! Langhorne Slim & the Law are stopping in our fine little capital city tomorrow, Wednesday, June 13, and playing at the Rock & Roll Hotel, (full tour details here). The best $15 dollars you will spend all week.  I won’t be in town for the show, but someone please go, and sing really loud if they play "My Future" and tell me how amazing it is. I may hate you for a minute but I'll get over it.

Also of note, the extremely talented Michael Kiwanuka is playing at the same club this Saturday (see above link). This Englishman is still relatively new in the US, but he is going to be huge soon, mark my words, and that will be a great day.

No comments :

Post a Comment