Monday, May 21, 2012

I Know Your Face

I'm just going to say it. I come from a good lookin' family:






We like hats. 

(Top three are my dad's family, bottom three my mom's. )


My bedroom at  my parents' house has become known as the family archive. Boxes of photos, scrapbooks, journals, baby clothes all seem to find their way to the room at the end of the hall. So many hours have been spent sitting on the floor connecting to all the lives that make up me. It is amazing to see that our lives, how we live, what we do with our family name, can help heal past generations. 


People can get intimidated by family history. Where do start? What do you? Start where you are at and do what you can. Sort pictures, identify people and places in those picture (please, please!).  This includes the gobs of digital photos sitting on your computer right now. Record family stories, write your own story. Type out grandma's old recipes. All those annoying things your forefathers did or didn't do that is frustrating your family research; don't do those same things to frustrate future generations. 

No comments :

Post a Comment