Friday, May 18, 2012

Grilled Cheese Kind of Week


What a hard week.  I had a dear friend warn me that while grieving is hard everyone, it can be especially hard for us single folk.  It made sense at the time, but this week, away from my Ma and Sis, has taught me that it is indeed true with a capital T.

So tonight I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich. Another good friend and I have this philosophy that when you care about someone you make them a grilled cheese. (Side note: we both independently had this philosophy and then one day on the way to the beach we discovered we shared it, which kinda means it is a true idea and can lead to world peace.) So tonight I decided to care for myself. 

On the way home from work I stopped at the store (it has been 5 days since I returned to DC and I still had no food at home, well, except for A TON of puff pastry in the freezer. ), and got some good bread (sourdough), good cheese (Gruyere), and a couple of onions.

I was painstaking patient as I let the onion cook down and caramelized with a little salt and pepper and fresh thyme from my little kitchen garden.

And then the magic of the sandwich:  buttered bread (don’t worry Julia Child, it was real butter), that beautiful cheese, and those sweet onions, all smoshed together and grilled.
Yes, I cut the bread super thick, but it was good bread.

Did it solve all my problems?  No. But it did remind me, in an –everything in my life is a metaphor—kind of way, that good things in life (amazing sandwiches and/or healing) take time and patience and small steps, and  quiet moments . . .and maybe a little good cheese.




No comments :

Post a Comment