Saturday, May 19, 2012

Go See This: Wilco

I don't want to be bossy, but I'll just go ahead and make some summer plans for you.


 First, go the beach and read a book (or a gossip rag, I don't judge), and wiggle your toes deep into the warm sand.


Second, go see Wilco. They are a playing two nights, July 17-18, at Wolf Trap.  They are one of my very favorite bands to see live, Jeff Tweedy has the best stage banter, but I say that a lot, so I may understand that you might need another second opinion. NPR has called them "The best live band in America."And since they are playing at Wolf Trap, an outdoor amphitheater, you can eat brie and apples and clap and sing under the stars ALL AT THE SAME TIME. So magical. 


If you aren't familiar with Wilco (are we even friends?), here is is short play list:


From the 1998 album Mermaid Avenue, "At My Window Sad and Lonely," This album is a collection of previously unpublished Woody Guthrie lyrics put to music by Wilco and British singer/songwriter Billy Bragg. It's probably one of my top 10 most played albums. And this song, in particular, breaks my heart every time I listen to it. 


From their 1999 album Summerteeth:" I'm Always in Love"


From their 2002 album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot: Heavy Metal Drummer:




From their 2007 album Sky Blue Sky: "Either Way"


From their  2011 album The Whole Love: "Dawned On Me"




And Wilco playing with the great Levon Helm, "The Weight"


Their NPR Tiny Desk Concert can be seen here, it's just under 20 fabulous minutes. 


Full Wilco Tour details here.

3 comments :

  1. Okay, I'm sold!! The ticket is purchased...let the summer concert fun begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it when you are bossy. We'll be at the Wednesday showing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for concert buddies! I'll totally share my brie and apples with you guys.

    ReplyDelete