Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Comfort Food

For the last two days my dad has been in the hospital.
For the last two days I have worn the same exact clothes.
For the last two days I have gone from this hospital to my parents' house to hospital to my parents' house.
For the last two days I have recounted my dad's medical history 348790 times.
For the last two days I have learned how exhausting and lonely worrying and hospital hallways are.
For the last two days I have sustained only on cheese and crackers, and TJ's peanut butter cups.


Until tonight.


On my drive home from the hospital I was hoping and maybe silently praying that there would be a warm casserole waiting on the doorstep. This is the Mid-West, it could happen. But no magical food stuff appeared.


So I decided to make my ultimate comfort food: pie and ice cream.
And yes, I used the fancy Depression Glass dishes.


At this moment in time, I really don't care what it is about pie that makes the world right, I'm just glad it exists and is in  my stomach.


----
p.s. the doctor's are pretty optimistic about my dad's recovery.


p.s.s I have over 200 new items in my reader, anyone want to organize them into things I need to read and things I can just mark as read? I'll even start you off . . .the recipe for Blackberry Goat Cheese Brownies should be at the top of the "need to read" pile. 

6 comments :

  1. I wish I could say I don't understand your experience but I do. I hate that you are having to go through this and yet glad you could be here to be part of it. Good pie always makes things better. Glad the docs are optimistic. Good thing we made a TJ's run on Saturday. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie--
    I will keep you and your parents and family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what is wrong, but I am so sorry things are hard and scary right now. I am glad that if something like this had to happen, it is while you "happened" to be in your home state visiting. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Katie. I had no idea you were going through this. Hopefully you can use the mindfulness and breathing you've been mastering through yoga to help during this time. Sending healing thoughts your way. Keep us posted and keep a fork handy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughts and prayers your way. Let me know when you're headed back home and we'll have that casserole waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all. Your kind words mean more than you can possibly know.

    ReplyDelete