Friday, March 16, 2012

Music On Repeat

I usually try not to have a gaggle of music posts in a row.  I'm not ready to turn this little space of the Internet into a full on music blog. I really don't feel a need to define it at all.  But I sit here in my kitchen with the back door open, a cool breezing drifting in, the hum of the dishwasher in the background, trying to think of something profound to say that doesn't involve a song or a band or concert.


But.


Nothing comes.


You see, music has been keeping me alive this week. It's been a hard week. I try not to dwell on it, because that would make one boring read. Blogging is still such a new media form that it is sometimes hard to find a balance between talking about how super fun awesome my life is, and the days when life isn't so super or fun or awesome. That kind of makes my life sound a little manic, but it's  not that bad, it's just, well, life.  But no matter my temperament, music seems to always be my constant. It's there to pull me out of myself, and the awkward situations that I find myself in, or in some cases, have created for myself. It's also there to celebrate with a joyous chorus or two when the universe is smiling. It's like music is this deeper language, something that communicates to the soul when plain old talky words just aren't enough. 


So.


Here is some music.


These two songs have been looping for most of the day on whatever device is turned on and in front of me at the moment. And they both happen to be by guys named Bryan with "Y."


Bryan John Appleby is from Seattle. He plays guitar. He wears a hat. He walks on the beach. His songs are so delicate that I always feel like they are on the brink of teaching me some wonderful bit of wisdom, if only I would stop and be still and listen for  minute. 



Pull&Bear Heritage presents "The words of the revelator" a song by Bryan John Appleby from Pull&Bear on Vimeo.


And then there is Bryan McPherson from the Bay Area, via Boston. He also plays the guitar, and sometimes the harmonica, and sometimes keyboard instruments? He does not wear a hat. I wrote about him way back in January, his music still blows me away every time I hear it. There is such an intensity in his voice that pulls you into not just every song, but every word of every song.  
His new album, American Boy / American Girl, comes out on April 17 and is available for pre-order through bandcamp

No comments :

Post a Comment