Wednesday, March 14, 2012

More Irish Music: The Fighting Jamesons


One more Irish tune. Don’t worry, this won’t turn into another Hipster Christmas overload.

I have been trying to tune my ear to more local music. It helps me to remember that DC is a lovely town on days where it seems that the rudest people in the world have united and are purposely trying to make my life hard. On especially difficult days you might hear me muttering through clinched teeth, “cherry blossoms . . . .blue bucks . . . National Gallery . . .”

So with local music on my radar I was pleased as punch to see the almost local, Fighting Jamesons, from Norfolk, on the marque at The State Theater.  Pleased as punch, until I realized that they were playing this Friday night. They have the misfortune of playing in the DC area the same night as the Chieftains. Did I mention that The Fighting Jamesons are a Celtic influenced band playing traditional songs  with modern rambleshackleness? Think Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, The Tossers, The Young Dubliners, you get the picture- lots of songs about whiskey.   Even though they might draw a slightly younger crowd than their musical forefathers, it is still a little unfortunate in the scheduling department. I have been wanting to not only check them out live, but also check out the State Theater, in my self-made quest to check all local venues. Maybe next time. Because there has got to be a next time, they are at least from this coast. (Yeah, I said it, take that, all the west coast bands that never cross the Mississippi). Tickets are still available for their show on Friday. 12 bucks. 

Post Script: This song, "Drunken Sailor," will get stuck in head, and singing it under your breath may or may not be appropriate during staff meetings. 

No comments :

Post a Comment