Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Song of the Week: Love Songs

So. Valentine’s Day. Huh. If I have a Valentine, it’s nice. If I don’t have a +1, I am not one to be bitter about it or go about wailing about my singleness gnashing of teeth style. I like to focus on the fact that chocolate will go on sale the next day.  But today is Valentine’s Day and Song of the Week Tuesday, and everyone know I am sucker for themes. So let’s talk about looove songs.

I’m pretty happy with my life, including the fact that I’m single, until someone points out that I shouldn’t be. Some people just can’t understand that you can be single AND happy at the same time.  But still, there are songs that have interwoven in their notes and melodies, a little bit of longing to be part of a party of 2.

Number 1 on this list is You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To, written by Cole Porter. My favorite version is with the glorious Ella Fitzgerald singing, but YouTube would have none of that, so here is a nice Nancy Wilson version.

Some days the idea of someone to come home seems like the most wonderful thing. Someone that always agrees that, yes, all your coworkers are jerks.  Someone to listen to all the rambling and random thoughts that come swimming in out of your head in the middle of the night.  Someone that will go early to a concert and stand with you in the same place, for 4 hours, just so you can be up front  near your most favorite band in the whole wide world. Someone who asks about your scars, the physical ones and ones not so seen, and then holds you when you tell them the truth. Someone that will take your car to get the oil changed because they know that is your numero uno least favorite thing to do. Someone to dance around the kitchen with while you make dinner and who isn’t afraid to sing into a wooden spoon. Someone who leaves his socks on the floor, but that’s ok, because knowing he is wandering around somewhere nearby barefoot is worth the extra little clutter.

Sigh. If you need me I’ll be hoarding discounted chocolate.

And as a bonus; I See You, You See Me by the Magic Numbers. I love this song so much.  The duet captures a new relationship  just so perfectly.


No comments :

Post a Comment