Sunday, January 29, 2012

Currently Reading: Billy Collins

From Marginalia by Billy Collins:

(the poem is about the marginalia found in books)
___
"Yet the one I think of most often, 
the one that dangles from me like a locket, 
was written in the copy of Catcher in the Rye 
I borrowed from the local library 
one slow, hot summer. 
I was just beginning high school then, 
reading books on a davenport in my parents' living room, 
and I cannot tell you 
how vastly my loneliness was deepened, 
how poignant and amplified the world before me seemed, 
when I found on one page 

A few greasy looking smears 
and next to them, written in soft pencil- 
by a beautiful girl, I could tell, 
whom I would never meet- 
Pardon the egg salad stains, but I'm in love."

___

Billy Collins is coming to DC, Maryland to be exact, Bethesda to be even more exact, in April.  


Thanks Ms. M for introducing me to the poet that more and more  I find myself reading while  laying upside down on my bed in the early hours of the morning when I cannot sleep and cannot stand to stare at the dark walls for one more minute. 

1 comment :