Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rain

I don't know what the weather is like where you at right now, but in DC it is raining. Drops of hydrogen and oxygen have been falling from the sky for most of the day.  For a moment this evening I went out and stood in the rain, my bare feet slick against the cool wet bricks of my porch, the water from the heavens washing away the day. As sit here, crossed legged on my bed,  an hour or two past a decent bedtime, the rain is still pounding on the rooftop and dripping down into puddles.


Whenever it rains I think of half of dozen novels where rain is a symbol of catharsis, that's cleansing to all  non Greek, non literary folk.  I think it is a beautiful image. The past, the troubles, the pain, the awkward moments that get replayed on repeat in your head, they are all being washing away. Tomorrow you will be clean. Tomorrow the sun will come out. Tomorrow will be a new day. 


An accompaniment to the lullaby of the rain is this song, a cover of Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released," performed by Chris Carrabba, David Bazan, William Fitzsimmons, Mariah McManus, Noah Gundersen and Abby Gundersen: 




This performance was the encore of TWLOHA's 2012 Heavy and Light program. 



No comments :

Post a Comment