Thursday, January 12, 2012

Currently (re) Reading

I am re-reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer, nested under layers of thick comforters during the magical midnight hours of the day that are solely mine. Falling sleeping with a beloved book wrapped in my arms or lying  open under my head has got to be one of the most beautiful things in the world.


(all quotes from the book)

“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”
 
“I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.”

"We were quiet on the car ride home. I turned on the radio and found a station playing "Hey Jude." It was true, I didn't want to make it bad. I wanted to take the sad song and make it better. It's just that I didn't know how.” 

“I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.”

“I hope that one day you will have the experience of doing something you do not understand for someone you love.”
 
“There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.”

“She wants to know if I love her, that's all anyone wants from anyone else, not love itself but the knowledge that love is there, like new batteries in the flashlight in the emergency kit in the hall closet.”
 
“So many people enter and leave your life! Hundreds of thousands of people! You have to keep the door open so they can come in! But it also means you have to let them go!”

“I feel too much. That's what's going on.' 'Do you think one can feel too much? Or just feel in the wrong ways?' 'My insides don't match up with my outsides.' 'Do anyone's insides and outsides match up?' 'I don't know. I'm only me.' 'Maybe that's what a person's personality is: the difference between the inside and outside.' 'But it's worse for me.' 'I wonder if everyone thinks it's worse for him.' 'Probably. But it really is worse for me.”

“My life story is the story of everyone I've ever met.”
 
“What did thinking ever do for me, to what great place did thinking ever bring me? I think and think and think. I've thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it.”
 
“We had everything to say to each other, but no ways to say it.”
 
“She laughed enough to migrate an entire flock of birds. That was how she said yes.”

“Every moment before this one depends on this one.”
 
“...because he had been waiting for someone to come back to him, so every time someone knocked on the door, he couldn't stop himself from hoping it might be that person, even though he knew he shouldn't hope.” 

"I wanted to tell her everything, maybe if I'd been able to, we could have lived differently, maybe I'd be there with you now instead of here. Maybe... if I'd said, 'I'm so afraid of losing something I love that I refuse to love anything,' maybe that would have made the impossible possible. Maybe, but I couldn't do it, I had buried too much too deeply inside me. And here I am, instead of there.” 

"I shook the tambourine the whole time, because it helped me remember that even though I was going through different neighborhoods, I was still me."
------
 I have been meaning to get a second copy of the book to lend out. I feel bad about going on and on about a book, but when someone asks to borrow my copy,I, without a second thought, say no. Usually I am free with the borrowing of books. But there are a chosen few that I am selfish with. This one in particular because it is signed to me from JSF himself. And I know it is just a thing ,just a paperback book with wrinkled pages, and maybe it sounds shallow, but my heart would break if it was lost.

No comments :

Post a Comment