Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reading: My Life in France

4 Things That I Learned From Reading Julia Child's My Life In France:


1. You are never too old to discover your passion and follow it.  Julia was 37 when she entered Le Cordon Bleu cooking school. Master the Art of French Cooking was published when she was 49.


2. Never Apologize! Julia never apologized or made excuses for her cooking. Usually one's cooking is better than on thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile . . .then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile---and learn from her mistakes. (p. 77).  


3. Margarine is abhorrent and should be avoided at all costs.


4. Buying a mortar and pestle at a French market is delightsome. Mine is quite a bit smaller than Julia's, but I didn't have a Paul to carry it back to the car for me.


Whenever I travel I read a book about the country that I am traveling in. During this last trip, I read Julia Child's autobiography, My Life in France. It is great book and has almost inspired me to learn how to cook some French food.  The French take their food very seriously and eating is ceremony. It was beautiful to read Julia's thoughts and experiences on food and France, and then go experience it for myself.

1 comment :

  1. 5. I really love this post. And I totally agree with Julia. :)

    ReplyDelete