Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Year Wish

So . . . New Years Resolutions.


With the last couple days of 2011 whizzing by I have been thinking about the new year, which naturally leads to resolutions. I usually joke about diligently making lists of resolutions and then diligently breaking every single one of them by the second week in January. But this year is going to be different. I am tired of making lists and inventories of all my weaknesses and faults and what ifs and then I will be happys and pie in the sky plans how to fix me. Enough.


In some cultures, instead of resolutions or goals or diet plans, people make new year wishes. I love that. I want to do that. So here is my wish and hope for 2012:


I wish to be strong and brave enough to abide all the change this year is going to bring.


You see, beneath it all, 2012 scares me. Like, sick to my stomach scares me.  I keep reminding myself of all the good things coming:  friends' weddings, queueing up in front of the taco stand by my sister's house, three concert tickets already patiently waiting on my bedroom mirror, and the return of perfect beach weekends. But along with the Mayan prediction that the world will end in this coming year, is the more reality based fact that my job will end, I will be unemployed sometime in the next 365 days. This is isn't a surprise, I knew all the small print when I signed away my soul. But as I turn over the calendar, that day is becoming more sooner than later. So here's to me being brave enough to see this as an opportunity to fall my heart. 


Hope smiles on the threshold of the year to come, whispering that it will be better.— Alfred Lord Tennyson

No comments :

Post a Comment