Thursday, December 15, 2011

12 Days of Hipster Holiday Music: Day 3

Yesterday I got schooled that 12 Days of Christmas are actually the 12 days in between Christmas and Epiphany on January 6, and not the 12 days leading up to Christmas. So, well, good to know, but I kinda am already in the middle of this.


On the third day of Hipster Christmas my true love gave to me The Swell Season and The Ramones


Remember a while ago I got heartsick for Ireland and I posted a video with Glen Hansard walking around Dublin? Well, here he is again, I am determined to get more people on this bandwagon. The Swell Season is made up of Glen and Czech pianist Marketa Irglova.  The two, at one time, were romantically involved and some of their songs are so imitate sounding that  you feel you are eavesdropping on their relationship. I love, love "Star, Star". It may, at first, not sound like a Christmas song, but just stay with it, and then you will get chills.
This video is from a Daytrotter session. Daytrotter is a beautiful thing. As bands, known and unknown travel across the country, they stop in a little studio in Rock City (for real!), Illinois and record these live and amazing sessions. It used to be free to access them, but now it is subscription based, at 2 dollar a month. 2 dollars to discover new bands and to fall in love, again, with some old favorites. I cannot recommend it enough.


The Ramones are, in my opinion, one of the most under appreciated American rock n'roll bands. People see their longish hair and leather jackets and think they are all gimmicky, but in fact the Ramones had some really great songs. File this one again, under sad Christmas songs, but it teaches us a valuable lesson, don't fight during the holidays.




Songs:
Star, Star
The Swell Season
Available on the album, Strict Luck

Merry Christmas (I'll Don't Want to Fight Tonight)
The Ramones
Brain Drain

1 comment :

  1. Wow, the Ramones was classic!
    Perfect for a Monday morning chuckle.

    ReplyDelete