Wednesday, December 14, 2011

12 Days of Hipster Holiday Music: Day 2

On the second day of Hipster Christmas my true love gave to me:  The Lower Lights and Charles Brown

I am recent fan of The Lower Lights, and all I can say is WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THEM SOONER?  I know that someone out there reading this little blog listens to them. They are, after all, from SLC. But it’s all ok now, after a few clicks  I own both of their albums, so I’m not mad at you anymore.  If we could sing this way at church, I would join the choir, show up on time and bring brownies and Jello to each and every practice.


"Come Home for Christmas" sung by Charles Brown is one of my favorite sad Christmas songs. The holiday season brings a lot of good things like faith, hope, time with family and friends, and decorated sugar cookies. But if for some reason you are lacking any of those good things, it just seems ten times worse in December.  Motown corners the market on singing sad songs that make you equality want to cry and dance around your kitchen. Take that, emo kids.

Songs:
Oh Come All Ye Faithful
The Lower Lights
Come Let Us Adore Him


Come Home for Christmas
Charles Brown


3 comments :

  1. I KNEW you would like The Lower Lights! Didn't you get my memo a couple of months ago? Sam downloaded one album right away too. (I'm not sure he has found the second one; I will have to tell him about it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda, this is where I must hang my heart in shame. You DID tell me about the Lower Lights awhile back, and I meant to look them up, and then it took me this long, and then aliens invaded and, well, YOU WERE RIGHT. Oh I love them.
    p.s. The second album is their new Christmas album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blast! Why didn't I read this earlier?! Your birthday present will now be way less cool. Just pretend to be surprised and impressed, okay?

    ReplyDelete