Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12 Days of Hipster Holiday Music: Bonus Post!

I am not one of those people that gets all offended when people wish me Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Christmas is a great holiday, I celebrate it, but it is not the only holiday in the month of December. That's just fact. Wishing someone Happy Holidays isn't invalidating any of the lovely holidays being celebrated, it just acknowledges that our little world is made up different and beautiful cultures and we are mature enough to allow people to celebrate (or not) which ever one(s) they choose. And it's an efficient time saver,  it saves us from actually taking the time to know about the lives of the people around us.


Today is the first day of Chanukah, and I asked a Jewish friend for some favorite songs that celebrate the festival of lights. He laughed and told me that Chanukah isn't known for this it's pop hits, but did finally offer the below three songs if I promised not to link to Senator's Hatch's song.


First, a more traditional song, Ma'oz Tzur, song by the ever enchanting PS 22 choir. The song is in Hebrew, but tells of different times that the Jewish people were saved.
This video reminded me of my second grade holiday program. I made my theatrical debut by holding the dreidel during "The Dreidel Song. Sadly, there is no video footage that performance. (Hooray for multicultural schools!)


Last year gave us"Candlelight" by the Maccabeats which is sung to the tune, "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz.


And you knewn this one one was coming: Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song.



1 comment :

  1. Very happy that you decided to post this. I LOVE the Maccabeats! I found them on YouTube one time while listening to various awesome acapella things and they are fantastic. I do love me some Jewish men. :) I really like this song in particular of theirs. Very funny. :)

    ReplyDelete