Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Evacuation Day!

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I know that I did, or I hope I did, since I am writing this a week before it actually gets posted. Does that mean that I traveled to the future or the past. Oy, my head just hurt. I hope you have a great holiday with friends and family and pie and didn't spend all day on the internet reading blogs.


So now that everyone is slowly coming out of their food commas we have to deal with Black Friday. I hate Black Friday. Not only because I used to work for a newspaper and the thought of all the adverts still give me shivers, or that there is very little things in life that I want that I would get up at o'dark thirty in the morning to go stand in a line and then get stampeded for. Yeah, I hate Black Friday for those reasons, but I also hate it because this year it is totally knocking off the calendar a day that actually, like, really is important in American history, that of Evacuation Day.


What is Evacuation Day? I guess that not everyone had Mrs. Moore, the best American History teacher, ever. Evacuation Day, November 25, is the day in 1783, that the last of British soldiers left the United States, more specifically, New York, after the Revolutionary War.  I always thought it was interesting that we celebrate the day that we declared our Independence, but not the day that we actually achieved it.  Evacuation Day also memorializes the over 10,000 Patriot soldiers and sailors that died through deliberate neglect on prison ships in New York waters during the British occupation. More Patriots died on these ships than died in every single battle of the war, combined. They were given the chance to renounce the cause, this new hope of a country of ours, and live. But they didn't.  They, by choice, lived and died by the phase and idea, "Give me liberty or give me death." And because they made that choice back then, we don't have to, today.


That is something to be thankful for. 
  
post script: I am also thankful that we are friends with Great Britain again, and not just because of chocolate HobNobs.  









No comments :

Post a Comment