Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sounds: The Avett Brothers

The Avett Brothers are a band that I am pretty sure that I can talk anyone into listening to. They are definitely folk influenced, but still have enough of a rock n’ roll edge that it isn’t all about kumbaya.  They formed in 2000 in North Carolina and have been touring and recording pretty steadily since then, and they are fantastic live.  The energy and humble presence of brothers Scott (banjo) and Seth (guitar) is magnetic, you can’t take your eyes off of them, or stop from smiling. Joe Kwon who plays the cello is amazing, I don’t think that I could carry the cello let alone move around the stage like he does.  He plays while standing, while holding up the cello. Talk about upper body strength. The group is rounded out by Bob Crawford (who didn’t play this show) on upright bass and Jacob Edwards on drums.

This weekend the Brothers Avett headlined the HFS Festival (Hfstival) in Columbia, MD.  It was lovely. The only downside was that since it was music festival, the band had a relatively short set time.  And no encores. I can think of at least 5 other songs that I was hoping they would play. In fact, I would not have complained if they played every song that they ever wrote.  I would have stayed. But one of the pros of seeing them at this small festival was that I was able to get prime real estate, if off center, for seeing the show, jumping all around, stomping my feet, clapping my hands and singing at the top of little lungs. 

















A highlight (among many) was the 2 brothers alone on stage singing "Murder in the City"
Take a listen:

No comments :

Post a Comment