Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Day to Remember

I always find it hard to talk about the events of 9/11. I don't want the lives of the people who died or the courageous efforts of first responders and the military to be forgotten, I think it is important to hear the names and see the faces of those that perished that day.  Their lives mattered. But I also don't want to exploit them. I don't like to remember that day that I sat alone, cross legged on the floor, in a brand new apartment in a brand new town and watched thousands of people die, in an unnamed feeling that lies somewhere among fear, horror and deep, deep sadness. I don't like to think about all the ugliness that came out of the day, that still comes because of that day. 


Maybe that is the wisdom of the moments of silence. To have a moment when it is just too hard to come up with the right thing to say, when they just isn't the right vocabulary for the what you feel inside. 


Memorial to NYC fallen firefighters across the street from Ground Zero

No comments :

Post a Comment